Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology (B.Sc. CSIT)
Affiliation: Tribhuvan University
Faculty: Institute of Science and Technology
Duration: 4 years
System: Semester System
Evaluation: Percentage Basis
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology (B.Sc. CSIT) is a four year course affiliated to Tribhuvan University designed to provide the students with all sorts of knowledge in the field of Information Technology and Computing.
The program involves, in addition to conventional lectures, a great deal of practical and project works. The program develops the underlying principles of both Computer Science and Information Technology and shows how these principles can be applied into the real world problems. This program develops the skills that are essential for both computer professionals and IT specialists.
The design and implementation of B.Sc. CSIT course offers new challenges when compared to the traditional computing environment. The recent emergence of global business, new technologies for data processing and data communication / networking environment, equip specialized science graduates to focus on professional careers in Information Technology. B.Sc. CSIT course provides the students with adequate theoretical and practical knowledge which will enable students to effectively participate in solving the complex problem of the IT industry.
Mission of the Course
The mission of the B.Sc. CSIT course is to prepare the students to pursue career advancement in the field of information technology. At the completion of this degree, a student will be able to design the real world e-media products or create technical solutions to hardware and software problems, depending on the chosen area and electives.
However, the main aim of the B.Sc. CSIT program can be enlisted as:
- To offer intensive knowledge in the field of theory, design, programming and application of computers.
- Providing an in-depth understanding and experience with computer systems.
- Developing creative and analytical skills that provides a basis for technical problem-solving.
- Equipping students with the technical knowledge required for an IT professionals to handle multi-tasking and multi-programming situations and to assess and develop computer based solutions.
- Imparting knowledge of computer and programming logic environment in IT.
- Knowledge of advanced IT applications in different business sectors.
- To provide intensive cognition in the field of functional knowledge of hardware system and the necessary knowledge of computer software system.
Salient Features of the Course
- In addition to conventional lectures, a great deal of practical and project works.
- Develops the underlying principles of both Computer Science and Information Technology and shows how these principles can be applied to solve real world problems.
- Builds up the skills that are essential for both computer professionals and researchers including IT managers, Systems Analysts, Network Administrator, Computer Programmers, Database Administrator, Web Developers, etc.
- Semester based program affiliated to Tribhuvan University.
Eligibility to Study
The candidate applying for B.Sc. CSIT program:
- Should have successfully completed a twelve year of schooling in the science stream or equivalent from any university, board or institution recognized by TU.
- Should have secured a minimum of second division in their +2 or equivalent.
- Should have successfully passed the entrance examination conducted by TU securing at least 35% marks.
- Compiled with all the application procedures.
»» All three: Biology, Physical and Computer group students of +2 level are eligible to apply for the course.
»» A student eligible to study the B.Sc. CSIT course should collect and submit the admission form from any of the B.Sc. CSIT colleges. The admission form generally opens during Shrawan or Bhadra every year.
The B.Sc. CSIT curriculum is designed by closely following the course practiced in accredited international universities and institutions, subject to the condition that the intake students are from twelve year of schooling in the science stream or equivalent from any university recognized by Tribhuvan University. In addition to the core computer science course and elective courses, the program offers service course to meet the need of high technology applications. The foundation and allied courses are designed to meet the need of undergraduate academic program requirements, and the service course are designed to meet the need of market demand and fast changing computer technology and application. Students enrolled in the four year B.Sc. CSIT program are required to take course in design and implementations of computer software systems, information technology and foundation of the theoretical model of computer science and functional background of computer hardware. All students are required to complete a minimum of 126 credit hours of computer science and allied courses.
B.Sc. CSIT program comprises of the following courses:
|Computer Science Core Courses||75|
|Natural Science Elective Courses||6|
|Social Science & Management Courses||6|
|Computer Science Elective Courses||15|
|Internship and Project||9|
|Total Credit hours||126|
The score of the students is evaluated on the basis of the percentage secured in the subjects. The grading system is maintained on the foundation of the percentage secured and is accompanied as follows:
- Distinction: 80% and above.
- First Division: 70% and above.
- Second Division: 55% and above.
- To Pass: At least 40% of the marks must be secured.
B.Sc. CSIT graduates have a prosperous career opportunity at different government, non-government, private and public organizations, software companies, telecommunications, computer networking companies etc. especially as a:
- Software Developer
- Web Developer
- Network Administrator
- Database Administrator
- IT Manager/Officer
- Ergonomics Program Designer
- System Analyst
- Project Manager
- Document Specialist
- Information System Auditor
- Artificial Intelligence Specialist
- Technical Writer
- Information System Manager
- Database Operator